Thursday, 6 August 2009

Tutorial - mounting and indexing stamps

Katharina asked her DT for a volunteer to do a tutorial on mounting stamps as Whiff of Joy are now stocking Mounting Foam. I was quick off the mark and offered first so got to do this.

I always mount my stamps onto foam as I get a far better image when stamping with a foam mounted stamp (unless they are clear stamps then don't bother and instead use a foam pad underneath the paper to get a crisp image). I have started to index them as well, this makes it so much easier when masking as you can see exactly where you are placing the image.

Step 1. I use Stazon to index (stamp the image on the back of the foam) and sharp straight scissors to trim around the image.
MT1
Step 2. Mounting foam is sticky on one side as has a static surface the other side. Establish which is the sticky side (leave backing on for now), place stamp on top face up and line up. To make it easier to line up later I trim a corner of the image (rubber stamp and foam).
MT2
Step 3. Flip foam over, remove backing off the static cling side. Ink up the stamp.
MT3
Step 4. Place stamp face down on the cling side of the foam, ensuring that you line up the corner that you cut as close as possible . This will give you the image print on the back exactly where the image will be once the stamp is adhered to the sticky side.
MT4
Step 5. The indexed foam ready to be adhered to the rubber
MT5
Step 6. Flip foam over so the sticky side is facing up and remove backing paper. Line up the rubber to the foam (again ensuring that you line up the corner that you cut as close as possible) and stick down in place. Apply pressure to get a good bond.
MT6
Step 7. Now trim off the excess around the image, using sharp, straight scissors and make straight cuts. Try and avoid making rounded corners as this can undercut the foam.
MT7
Step 8. One mounted and indexed stamp. If you are not bothered about indexing your stamps then just follow steps 6 and 7.
MT8
Thanks for stopping by,

42 comments:

  1. Oh, Bev, what a good idea. Must admit to trying to save all the packets that the stamps come in, lol. This will take up even less space. Thank you.
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tutorial, Bev! I never thought about indexing the stamps...guess it would be easier to mask with them.
    ~Lacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tut Bev! Never though to stamp the image right onto the cling. Great idea!! I'm very happy my lss is now going to carry this foam so I can get to work on some of my unmounteds! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to stamp the motive on the foam.

    Thanks for showing us.

    Hugs,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that´s clever!!! Indexing the stamps is a great idea, was just wondering a few days ago how to make stamping easier :) Thanks for the tutorial!!!

    Hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an excellent idea - it never occured to me to do this, but I will give it a go from now on.
    Thanks so much for the great tut.
    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a brilliant idea to stamp the image onto the foam. I stamp the image onto index cards and keep them in an index box so I can just look through and see which stamps I have, so I don't end up buying them twice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial Bev, it's a good idea to index stamps :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great tutorial Bev! Thanks so much...and I LOVE how you index your stamps too! what an fantastic idea!
    hugs~ Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fantastic!! Just what I needed to see, thank you. Now, I must hope that my hand stays steady while cutting...
    Stephanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very useful, and easy to understand. Excellent idea on the indexing.
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bev,

    very nice tutorial!!!
    I have something for you at my blog!

    Hugs Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tutorial Bev!!
    Hugs, Camilla.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a clever idea to stamp the image on the back bev, thanks for sharing
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a great idea...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now THAT (indexing) is clever! Thanks a million Bev *mwah* xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. o wauw now that's an idea! i have never tought about that to stamp the immage on ot the back!
    brilliant!

    hugs
    daisy

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea Bev. Much the same as Sue said trying to keep all the packets does take up space!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tutorial, Bev! I'd never thought of indexing mine on the cling mount.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh BEv you a a darling! ive mounted stamps onto this before, never thought of stampin it first! DOH! such a simple idea but brilliant! thanks Bev
    take care hun
    Nicki
    x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bev, you are so clever besides being to talented!!! Great ideas in this tutorial...thanks for sharing...Hugs..Jacque

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fab tut Bev great idea to stamp the image first

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for tutorial, Bev!

    Greetings Jannie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great lesson!! The pictures were sooo helpful and easy to follow! I learned what I have been doing incorrectly, so glad to have this new information.

    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. never thought of indexing the stamps either .... what a great idea - simple but very effective!
    Hugs
    pauline x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Bev seen this on tv but you have made it very clear, easy when you know how (wink) many thanks

    Christine xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome tute Bev ;) thanks!@

    hugs Ria

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a useful tutorial! I just have a lot of stamps, just waiting my foam to come. Now I now exactly what to do.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Bev thank you for showing this and love the idea of indexing, I shall be trying this on all my stamps.
    Huygs Linda

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks so much for this Bev. I've always hated using this sticky stuff but I think the problem may have been my scissors - those XCut ones look much better, will have to get some. Great tip about the indexing too. Hugs, Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is fabulous,thanks Bev!!! I have always mounted my stamps to cling foam,but have never indexed them.....such a great idea!!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fantastic tutorial Bev, crikey Sweetie, how do you know all this stuff!!! :). A great idea to stamp on the back of the foam, I would never have thought of that and will be borrowing it. Thanks for all your efforts as always. Hugs, Chris xxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great tutorial, I have just bought some foam to mount my stamps on and this tutorial has made it easy for me, Thanks
    xxxeileen

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow...what a fab idea!!! TFS!!!
    hugs
    Risa:)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great Tutorial Bev. Thanks so much for sharing. Just got 2 sheets of the backing and have been trying to figure out just how to mount the stamps to it. You have taken all the guess out of it. Thanks again!
    Thanks for visiting my blog!! See you on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a wonderful tutorial. I have yet to purchase a stamp that is not already mounted, however, I do wish that the companies would consider doing this technique for us. Drives me crazy to just figure out which stamp is which much less trying to line it up straight.

    ReplyDelete
  37. what a fab idea, sure wish I had seen this before mounting all of mine

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love this tutorial Bev hun, it is so easy to follow, even a numpty like me can do it !

    Where did you get your scissors - they look fab for doing this and mine seem to cut at an angle and all squiffy!

    Big Hugs
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

Bev x

Related Posts with Thumbnails